Creating consistent content week in, week out, that’s engaging and you feel proud of is a huge challenge. I’ve definitely found coming up with content ideas tough, and I know many business owners I work with have trouble coming up with consistently great ideas.
It can feel like your business and audience are content-hungry monsters. Everything needs content ideas, your blog, social media, emails, websites, landing pages and and and. It goes on and on.
There is such a huge focus on content because value-packed content that leaves your target audience wanting more is the best way to get your audience to trust you, attract more clients and ultimately make more sales.
With so much to play for, I’m going to show you how to consistently create content ideas that’ll turn your audience into huge fans and paying clients.
Keen to learn more about starting and growing a successful business? Check these out:
- What to post on Social Media – 5 Questions to ask
- How to create a content plan for 2021 (and beyond)
- 5 timesaving tips for SM content creation
And make sure you grab your free Call to Action Download so that, once you have all your content ideas you create posts that include a CTA to make sure your audience engage with it. Download your free guide now
CREATING CONTENT IDEAS TIP 1: IDEAS SESSION
Nothing gets my creativity flowing more than a blank piece of paper and a nice pen (anyone else have a notebook obsession?). You’ll be surprised how many ideas you already have from scanning social media, reading and absorbing others content. To get these out of my head and onto paper I follow these steps:
Break your business into different categories, for example, my categories are Strategy, Social Media Tips, content creation, content repurposing, running a small business and others. Come up with as many as you need to but aim for around 5 or 6 to start with.
Write down three different content topics for each category e.g. for Social Media Strategy I could talk about identifying which platforms to use, how often to post or storytelling. To help break this down:
- Research what your competitors are writing about and what content is popular on their websites?
- Look at websites you and your audience love and check out what content they’ve been creating
- Use your experience. Think about the questions you always get asked, what help do your clients need?
- Write down all the topics you are passionate about and expert in. How and where do you want to add value?
CREATING CONTENT IDEAS TIP 2: ASK YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE
The key to growing your audience and engaging them is to create content they’re really craving. And the best way to know what they’re really craving is to ask them directly. You can:
- Email your list
- Post a survey or questions in your social media group and other groups
- Post a poll on your Stories.
- Ask them in your joining questions for your Facebook group
- Check comments on posts relevant to your niche
- Look at the reviews of relevant Amazon books
- Do research in forums for your niche
- Ask previous and current clients
The options are endless. Anything which allows you to hear directly from your target audience will be useful in creating content ideas.
You could ask them:
- What topics do you enjoy most from me?
- What is your number one struggle with XYZ? (insert your niche)
- What would you like to see more of from me?
- What do you want to achieve in 3 months time?
- What would stop you from achieving your goals?
CREATING CONTENT IDEAS TIP 3: GOOGLE SEARCH SUGGESTIONS
If you have an idea for a general topic, pop it in the fountain of knowledge, Google, and look at the suggested topics it comes up with. Each could be a piece of content
Also, check out the related searches at the bottom of the page.
CREATING CONTENT IDEAS TIP 4: LOOK AT PAST POST PERFORMANCE
Assuming that you have been sharing content for a while then one of the most valuable things to do is to regularly look at what results your previous posts have.
All the social media platforms provide some form of metrics or insights you can look at to understand what type of content gets the most interaction, or engagement, from your audience.
Thinks to think about
- Do your audience like ‘curated’ articles or does your own ‘created’ content work better?
- Is there a theme around the format of the content
- do video posts perform better than image posts.
- Carousel posts (multi-image) do better than single image ones
- Do demos get lots of comments.
Don’t forget to note posts that aren’t working so well and stop making them!
CREATING CONTENT IDEAS TIP 5: CHECK ANSWER THE PUBLIC
Answer the Public is a great free long-tail keyword research tool. You type in your topic and it generates a list of questions the public is actually asking about that niche. This helps to ensure your content is relevant and valuable.
BONUS CREATING CONTENT IDEAS TIP: SET UP A CONTENT FILE
You can use ClickUp, Trello or a straight forward spreadsheet. It will be helpful to have a single place to keep your ideas, frequently asked client questions, things you like from your competitors, trends. Basically, anything that could be a potential content topic. Then when you sit down to write you’ll have a whole library of information to inspire you.
Now you have the technique I use myself to generate content ideas for your perfect audience what happens next? Set aside 30 minutes and start with tip 1 and you’ll have a host of ideas in no time.
READY TO CREATE HIGH CONVERTING CONTENT?
Now you’re creating content your audience will love make sure you’re making it easy for them to engage with it by including a clear call to action (CTA) on every post. Take a look at my free download for 30 Calls-to-Action Ideas